Residents Find Non-Structural Damage After Detonation of WWII-era Bomb

WhatsAppWhatsAppFacebookFacebookTwitterTwitterPinterestPinterestRedditRedditGmailGmailShareShare

Singapore witnessed the detonation of a 100 kg World War II-era bomb on Tuesday by the Armed Forces Explosive Ordnance Disposal team. Over 4,000 residents living within a 200m radius of the construction site, where the unexploded bomb had been found, were evacuated. 

They were given the all clear at around 5pm to return to their homes. The Building and Construction Authority engineers did a thorough check of the Hazel Park condominium and other buildings to see whether the structures were safe. 

They gave the green light as the buildings were structurally safe for the occupants to return. The BCA highlighted that buildings in Singapore are structurally designed to withstand tremors. Inspection was done by the BCA, national water agency PUB, grid operator SP Group and the Housing Board. 

Non-Structural Damage Found

However, non-structural damage was detected in some common areas of the Hazel Park condominium. Some residents found cracks on the glass, plaster boards and false ceiling. They also found dislodgement of fixtures like downlights and ceiling access panels. 

These damages reflect the intensity of the blast or explosion as a protective wall had been set up around the bomb using sandbags and concrete blocks; this was meant to minimize the impact of the explosion. 

Other infrastructure like drains and pipelines were found to be structurally safe. A mechanical and aerospace engineering expert said hairline fractures in structures near the blast site can still occur despite safety measures. 

Keep Reading

The WWII Bomb Was Unstable

The Singapore Armed Forces took to Instagram to reveal that World War II-era bomb was unstable and had to be detonated. It said the explosive’s mechanism and metal components were expected to be unstable because of decades of deterioration. 

Before the detonation, the authorities saw to that nearby petrol service stations emptied their underground fuel tanks and shut down for precautionary measures. The Singapore Armed Forces said moving the bomb would have triggered an explosion. 

But this is not the largest bomb relic that the Ministry of Defense detonated. The army in Pulau Senang disposed of a 227kg unexploded aerial bomb in 2016.

Desk Writer

Spends most of the time reading news all around the world. Strong knowledge and understanding of the current situation and happenings in the ASEAN region.

Recent Posts

American “Thrill Seeker” Arrested for Trespassing on Protected Sentinelese Island

At age 24 Mykhailo Polyakov from America violated regulations when he came to North Sentinel Island which authorities guard to…

April 3, 2025

Star-Studded Action: Santoro, George and Barraza Join  movie ‘Runner’

The much awaited action thriller Runner is getting boosted with a stellar cast. Directed by Scott Waugh, the film has…

April 3, 2025

Emirates Has Introduced the Fast and Reliable Service of Courier Express

Emirates has launched a new product, Emirates Courier Express, which promises faster, more reliable, flexible express shipping to customers around…

April 3, 2025

Nintendo Switch 2 Unveiled: Bigger Screen, Voice Chat, and 4K Gaming

Nintendo has announced the new Switch 2 to stir the gaming world with some fabulous features. This console of the…

April 2, 2025

Val Kilmer, ‘Top Gun’ and Batman star, dies at 65

The 65-year-old Val Kilmer, versatile and magnetic actor famous for his works in Top Gun, Batman Forever, and The Doors,…

April 2, 2025

India Star Jaiswal Exits Mumbai Cricket to Join Goa Ahead of 2025-26 Season

Yashasvi Jaiswal announced a major shift in cricket clubs when he left Mumbai Cricket Association to play for Goa domestic…

April 2, 2025